CU Mlyny DormitoriesComenius University Bratislava

Use of a private electrical appliances

05. 10. 2023 11.57 hod.

Due to popular demand, students will be able to apply for a permit to use electrical appliances in their rooms/units from this September. Such use has been prohibited by dormitory rules up until now - even though strict compliance with this ban was not enforced. More people want to use electrical appliances in their rooms and that puts an increasing load on the dormitory electrical wiring, which was not designed for the current demand. This leads to overloads and power outages. Too many electrical appliances connected to a system not designed to take such load can also be a security risk. On the other hand, the dormitory administration is aware that for many students a kettle or a microwave have become a necessity.

For this reason the dormitory will now allow electrical appliances like these in rooms/units - but their number will be limited to prevent overloading. Students who want to use electrical appliances in their room will need to file an application. We ask our guests to share their electrical appliances as much as possible to ensure their efficient use.

  • Devices such as common consumer electronics (mobile phone, laptop, desktop computer, smartwatch, headphones, chargers, table lamps) or personal care appliances (hair-dryer, hair curler, electric toothbrush) are not subject to these restrictions and no application needs to be filed.
  • Applications need to be submitted particularly for electrical appliances like kettles, microwaves, coffee makers or toasters (these are the devices most frequently encountered during inspections). They can overload the electrical network if too many of them are switched on at the same time, causing a risk of blackouts or even fires. Consequently, the dorm administration feels the need to regulate their numbers.
  • Students who need appliances due to medical reasons (e.g. a rice cooker for a special diet, an air purifier for asthma, an insulin fridge) should apply for a permit. They need to provide a proof of their medical condition, signed by a doctor of medicine.

The Commission for university dormitories and accommodation of CU’s Academic Senate negotiated with the university management and the following three points were added to the original proposal:

  1. In this academic year, use of personal electrical appliances will be regulated without fees. After this trial period we will work with student representatives to evaluate the results and propose modifications as needed. You can send your suggestions to
  2. During the winter semester, the dormitory administration will enforce dormitory rules using a non-punitive approach and will initially issue warnings of violations. Sanctions will be imposed only in case of repeated violations.
  3. CU management, dormitory administration and the CU AS Commission for university dormitories and accommodation will work to equip dormitory kitchens with the electrical appliances needed by students.

The quality of accommodation at university dormitories depends on sufficient funding from the largest client of the university - the Slovak government. Unfortunately, higher education infrastructure is underfunded at the time and this will likely lead to various future restrictions of operation and accessibility of dormitory accommodation.

How to apply for an electrical appliance permit

Which electrical appliances need a permit?

Guests are requested to apply for a permit to use mainly the following: electric kettles, microwaves, coffee makers, and toasters. Other electrical appliances (apart from ordinary consumer electronics or personal care devices listed above) will be subject to the accommodation office consideration.


Guests of a single room/unit can file a single application with the Mlyny accommodation office and request up to two additional electrical appliances for the room/unit depending on the dormitory block in which they are located.

  • Couples Dorm (Manželské internáty) - two appliances per unit
  • High-Rise B (Štúrak) - one device per unit (shared by two rooms, e.g. one microwave) and one device per room
  • Atrium houses - two appliances per room


You can apply via this FORM. The applicant should print two copies of the form, fill them in, have them signed by all occupants of the room/unit, and submit them to the Mlyny accommodation office. Accommodation office staff will approve or deny the application.


An application is only valid once it has been signed by all occupants of a room/unit. Applications that do not meet this condition will be rejected. Please note that beverage vending machines and the Eat & Meet cafeteria are still available to guests of CU Mlyny.


Applicants who receive a permit must display the approved application in their unit/room visibly, next to the inventory list. The electrical appliances listed on the application are only considered permitted when the Mlyny accommodation office staff approve the application.


The application must be returned to the staff carrying out the check-out inspection whenever the applicant moves out or changes rooms. The application expires on the date when the applicant moves or checks out.


Article 7(3) of the Dormitory Rules specifies that the Dormitory is permitted to carry out inspections of compliance with fire safety regulations and proper usage of dorm premises with or without the presence of the guests. If unauthorized electrical appliances are encountered in the room/unit the guest may be fined 100€ for each electrical appliance in accordance with Article 11 of the Dormitory Rules.


Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions related to these instructions for the use of electrical appliances in dorms. Whether your application is approved or denied depends on the specifics of the electrical wiring in your room, which is slightly different for each Mlyny dormitory building.

1.What if I have an electrical appliance in my room that I don't use, and just store it there?

The ban applies to electrical appliances regardless of whether they are used. To avoid a fine in specific cases (e.g. you need to store a wrapped gift for a few days) inform us by sending an email to

2.Can I apply for an electrical appliance and then place it in the kitchenette so everyone on the floor can use it? (VB, AD)

Only permitted or registered electrical appliances may be connected to the electrical system in the dormitory. However, the permit and registration only applies to individual rooms/units. Appliances may only be placed in common areas by the dormitory administration. As mentioned above, CU management, dormitory administration and the CU AS Commission for university dormitories and accommodation will work to equip dormitory kitchens with any additional electrical appliances needed by students.

3.Will printers, televisions, clothes irons, fans, heaters, game consoles, and other similar appliances which are not on the list, be approved?

If an appliance is not listed, submit an application and the accommodation office will review it. We recommend to only bring the electrical appliance after you have obtained a permit for its use.

4. How are high-wattage appliances defined?

Inventory inspections revealed that most high-wattage electrical appliances include devices for heating food and water. Based on this data and the capacity of electrical wiring in the buildings, the dormitory administration proposed a solution that is as simple as possible in terms of registration as well as subsequent inspections. If you are not sure how to classify your electrical appliance, submit an application and ask for an individual assessment.